On the IssuesAs a local prosecutor and state legislator, Mike Bishop has a proven record of protecting crime victims, families and Michigan's taxpayers.
- Authored legislation to create the nations first Child Protection Registry to protect our children from internet predators
- Sponsored the Identity Theft Protection Act, which made identity theft a felony in Michigan
- Championed legislation to ensure that all sex offenders are identified and registered with the state Sex Offender Registry
- Has no public pensions, rejected all pay increases and had voted six times to reduce his pay
- Introduced balanced budgets that saved taxpayer dollars while funding essential services
Ensure justice. The duty of the Prosecutor is to ensure justice, which means not only being tough on crime, but aggressively representing victims of crime and their families with respect and compassion. Leadership matters.
Protect families. The core function of government, particularly law enforcement, is to protect families and keep Oakland County the best place to live, work and raise a family. Peace of mind that your family is safe has everything to do with your quality of life. As the world changes, we must be vigilant in protecting our families from encroaching danger.
Collaboration. The Prosecutor must be able to work with others. Obviously, the law enforcement community must have an open and unimpeded line of communication, but also citizens and other community organizations such as Care House, Haven, RESTORE Foundation are invaluable resources and maintaining a strong and open working relationship with them is essential.
Fiscal Responsibility. Fund essentials services and provide them with the best quality at the lowest possible cost. Work with local institutions to provide essential training for staff and move toward a more technological advanced office. Adopt new alternative sentencing options for non-violent offenders that focus on rehabilitation over incarceration, working to lower the overall cost of the corrections system.